[Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 15:45:59 PDT 2003

Great debate Bill,

I got to the bottom of it and as usual you wrote some good and interesting
counter points.

I just don't agree with all of them, as you don't agree with all of mine oh
well what's new, that's what keeps us all talking and trying to find a way to
make it all better before it does die.

I do agree that Dixieland will more than likely never be a Mass market medium
again like Rock and Roll, but it certainly could be a lot bigger than it is
with some consistent effort on the part of all the participants.  Especially
the Professional ones otherwise the amateurs will end up running it all and it
will indeed disappear.

It has already become in my opinion anyway an elitist group much akin to
classical snob groups, always talking about getting more and more people to attend
and wishing for more places to play and listen to it, but it is for the most
part lip service because few people are acting upon the words and going out
and making things happen.  As did Richard Stevens and the Jazz Factory just
stated in a post.  It can be done if we put our minds to it.  However you may be
correct that the group really does not want to be expanded to a wider audience
in many cases.

I have had and heeded "THE CALL" to evangelize OKOM music, which is why I
keep writing sermons for the list in the Hopes dear Brothers and Sisters, of
converting just one lost soul a day and bringing them into the blissful folds of
OKOM before it is indeed too late.

I also believe that Louis and Bix and Buddy and Teagarden and the other
great's were no doubt rebels in their day as well and converted many of you Young
Rebels, because if they and you were not rebels, you would have all given up
and gone away long before seventy years. Today we have a new breed of Rebels, in
Wynton, Kermit Ruffins, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Young Rebels brass band, and
a lot more that are making headway into the mainstream music industry and
playing a lot of OKOM.  However; many older OKOM fans rebel and refuse to accept
any change or advancement in the early style of music, which makes them just as
much a Rebel as the Rockers.  The mere fact that you still get up every day
and listen and promote and talk about this music makes you a Rebel swimming
upstream so be it.  If sperm do not swim upstream to fertilize the egg then there
is usually no future reproduction of the species.

Keep swimming Brothers and Sisters, do not go down with the Titanic, there
will always be survivors and they don't bury us.

May the Blessings and good times of OKOM be upon all of thee this fine Sunday
Morning.

And Brother Bill  you are so much a Rebel that there is a big old "R" visible
in your forehead, :)   Love ya man!

Rev. Tom -Bob Wiggins
First Church of OKOM and other Good Music.