[Dixielandjazz] What decline?

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Jul 27 21:05:21 PDT 2003

I haven't been reading all the mail lately from DJML, but this one
caught my eye.  Whoever said the following, I would like to
disagree.........

>Today's trad jazz is a preservation of yesterday's music. It's a museum

>piece. It takes us back to our youth (and that means 70 years ago!) and

>relives that which has been lost. We cherish it.  Screw around with the

>traditions of dixieland and you're committing an abomination.
>That would be like screwing around with Mendelssohn or Schubert . . .

La Canal Street Jazz Band plays a list of standard Dixieland tunes,
along with others not so standard to the medium.  The freedom offered in
Jazz is to be able to "play around" with that melody, those
chords....and, try to create something new & exciting each & every time
you play.  Sure, we usually stick to someone's particularly famous riff
or solo, but not always.  Depends on the mood.  We play a slow tune
fast, a fast tune slow, change the key, throw a few tricks at the other
guys in the band....keep everyone on their toes, have a few laughs.  We
are not a museum piece, nor must we "stick to the score" as the
classical music guys must do.

This music doesn't take me back to my youth, although I began playing it
when I was 15.  There's just something in that beat that lets me fly,
and I resent anyone saying I'm committing an abomination by doing just
that.....flying.  If I am, then this abomination draws huge crowds,
sells lots of recordings, and keeps the band playing half the days of
each month.  And, we're in our 35th. year togther!!

Jim