[Dixielandjazz] Free speech vs. rudeness as a pro musician

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sun Jul 27 12:10:44 PDT 2003

I just noticed Pat had also sent his letter to DJML, so here is the letter I
sent him earlier, off-list.
For the record: I am not a feminist and never implied that I was anything
other than concerned about scaring people away from an already-dwindling
audience. -N.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts -- politely. Charlie has a right to make
the joke, and they have a right to say they were offended. No problem with
the right to free speech. My problem is when he intimidated them while he is
being paid to entertain them and make them want to come back next week to
support the club and the band (and the guys who want to take them home
later):

Charlie said "... I engaged them earnestly and asked in my most concerned
voice, 'Well, yes, but were you Mortally Offended?'  They just looked blank,
and I walked away, saying, 'All right, then.'   I think they stayed away
after that: I certainly hope so!""

I noticed you left this most-important part out of your reply. It's the
sarcasm and rudeness that I have a problem with -- period. It has nothing to
do with feminism or free speech, just rude behavior. He was punishing them
and enjoying it. That's not what a musician is paid to do.

Hurray for free speech! Boo for being unnecessarily obnoxious, and then
gloating about it just to impress your friends. I know you don't see it this
way, and I understand. So, we can agree to disagree.

Love and hugs,
Nancy