[Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

Basilejazz at aol.com Basilejazz at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 12:35:02 PDT 2003

  I agree with alot of what's been said so far on this subject.  So many
reasons for the decline of this form of music.  One big one is bad, repetitive
performances.  I've had to play so many times in broken down bands with guys
wearing dirty black pants, a stained white shirt, (or worse yet, those damned
vests).  I've seen so many bands that barely say a word to their audience and
expect them to sit through 18 choruses of Canal Street Blues.  Or the same old
tired drum tag at the end of every piece.

  Boredom is one of the biggest problems.  Sometimes musicians who are
gigging don't take the time to go and listen to a band and see the performance from
the audience perspective.  If they did they might walk out on a lot of bands.

  Yet another factor is rigidity.  It always amazes me that music that
started out as a free, rebellious art form now has so many rules-(you can't change
that chord, Bix wouldn't have done it that way, etc.).  To be fair, this
doesn't apply to every leader or group, but I have seen a some talented young people
get discouraged by this mentality.  Bring back some freedom to the form.

   A bit of showmanship and change would help to breate new life into this
music.  I know these issues don't apply to every band, (thank God).  My
two-cents

   Tony Basile