[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 84

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 07:37:48 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/27/2003 1:42:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

Excellent points, but the most important ones have to do, I think, with the
business, or the marketing of jazz. What we hear on the radio, what CDs are
promoted, what music is pushed on TV, comes back to what producers determine the
market wants. And they usually make those decisions, (just like movie
producers decided on what movies to produce and promote), by what is already selling.
In other words, the few good selling sounds or styles keep getting replayed
and repackaged. In music, these decisions are too often focused on an analysis
(or lack) of what the big preteens and teens markets will buy. But here's the
curious part. If you expose kids to better music they often like it and it can
become part of their listening habits. Remember what happened to Tony Bennett
on MTV? He became a pop star again. I recently discovered my 12 year old
daughter loves ABBA, Gloria Gainer and even Simon and Garfunkle. Strangely, there
are also moments when she enjoys the Maple Leaf Rag too (although I may be
engaging in wishful thinking now). Remember the story of Ragtime being arbitrarily
selected as background appropriate for the 70's movie, The Sting? When
producers take a chance and put it out there it's amazing how many people (all age
groups) do listen. Not everybody loves it, but then again, not everybody loves
ANY kind of music. That's the point the teen radio stations miss. All you hear
there is a steady diet of the same ol monotonous rap and whinny teen singing.
It's such a narrow range! My point, I guess, is that we need to keep the
faith and put our Dixieland out there. The truth will make them free.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink