[Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

jazzfact jazzfact at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 27 09:06:15 PDT 2003

Here's one reason why Classic Jazz Lives,

This gig is but one of our regular weekly performances, there are 190 =
meals
served every Wednesday and that's a full house!=20

"Where did they come from ??

by Jim Mills

It=92s a Miracle!

Have you ever noticed how small events can often trigger large changes? =
bomb is thrown at an insignificant Arch Duke in Sarajevo and WW1 =
results.
Then there was the case of Aunty Charleen. Unwed at 27, with a face that
would sadly never launch a thousand ships, Aunty Charleen had settled in =
for
another quiet Saturday night with Jack Davy on the =93wireless=94, when =
in walks
her friend Rayleen, who says, =94Aa! What about we go to the 50/50 (Jazz =
&
Old-Time dancing) down at the Masonic Hall?=94 Those fateful words set =
into
motion the wheel of fate, for Aunt Charleen met Uncle Dick in the
Progressive Barn-Dance, they married and eight months later the first of
their lovely seven children was born. The result? Aunt Charleen is still
convinced that had she stayed at home that night, she would have become =
famous Prima Ballerina!

Not so dramatic or poignant, but equally earth-moving in its result were
recent events at the Tewantin-Noosa Bowls Club. For some time the Club =
has
not enjoyed the patronage it deserves. Perhaps their many bowlers do not
linger long enough to fill the coffers or it might have been the real
estates agent=92s favourite, =93position, position=94, who knows? Fact =
was, on
Wednesday nights in the past the venue was not well attended.

Enter stage left, the fickle finger of fate, in the guise of Richard
Stevens. Then ensued, a conference with management, which a reliable =
source
reports resulted in an offer by Richard to fill their Dining/Dance area
within four weeks and if he did, they were to offer the Jazz Factory a =
gig,
every Wednesday night, 6.30 to 9.00 pm. into the foreseeable future.

As G.B.Shaw said,=94By George, He=92s done it !!! And dun he did! Val & =
attended night four, the end of the trial period. We arrived about =
6.15pm.
for dinner and had a friend not held us seats, we would have dined off =
the
mantle-piece; such was the crowd! By 6.30pm, when the band struck-up, it =
was
standing room only. There were Jazz Club members and people I had never =
seen
before, and they just adored The Factory, who all played like men =
inspired.
Peter was shaking his little Egg cum maraca so vigorously I thought he =
may
fall off the stand; and his beaming smile lit up the room. The =
=93Boys=94 had
created a modern miracle. This crowd didn=92t just clap, they roared; =
and that
with full tummies.

True to their word, the Club engaged the Factory for every Wednesday =
night
and as a sign of their approval, have put the band=92s name up in lights
out-side the Club. Well, I don=92t know about New York, but if you can =
make it
in Tewantin-Noosa, you can make it anywhere; and better still, the
black-board menu is headed =93Jazz Factory Special=92s=94; it=92ll be a =
cook-book
next, =93Fine Dining with the Jazz Factory=94. Well, the crunch was that =
the
Club not only booked the Factory, but agreed to the inclusion of =93Big =
John=94
Murray, the greatest Trombone/Vocalist around. John sat-in on the night, =
and
having heard him, the management decided they must have him; an =
eminently
wise decision!

Sitting in at times were Petra on Banjo and Dick Barnes on Double Bass, =
who
was outstanding for his fast, eight note rhythm in =93Undecided Now=94, =
which
seemed to change the whole character of the band. Because of its =
sustained
ring, it=92s virtually impossible to handle that speed on a Sousaphone; =
but
then the Sousi=92 can do things the bass could never do; but then, most =
Susies
can do that! I am convinced Ian Denovan still has his own teeth because =
in
=93Undecided Now=94, he was handling such a mouthful of words at such a =
rate,
they would have fallen out (the teeth that is). Once again, diction,
diction, we understood every word Ian sang. You=92d make a lousy =
rock-star
mate.

So here=92s the deal. Every Wednesday, 6.30 to 9.00pm. Admission is in =
itself
free, but, as this is a Jazz Dinner Dance, admission is strictly with =
the
understanding that you will purchase Dinner. Hate to see anyone =
embarrassed.
The meals are truly Hastings St. class, but at soup-kitchen prices; and =
the
staff - =93Even the Staff are beautiful=94. Come and see for yourself, =
but
please, be there at 6pm.or even earlier for pre-dinner drinks. That way
you=92ll be below .05 by the time you drive home. They have an excellent =
Wine
List at mate=92s rates. I know it=92s early, but you=92ll be tucked up =
with your
Teddy (or who-ever) by ten O=92clock. See you there next Wednesday, =
early!"

regards,
Richard Stevens
www.thejazzfactory.net