[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Gig - was Dixieland Music Taught in Schools

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 21:55:15 PDT 2003

Yes a fun movie. Near the end, the band gets hired to back a top flight
singer after their first gig is over and the bass player has to hire some
professionals because some of the guys in the band can't cut the parts.

Very poignant moment when he tells the trumpert player that "loving the
music is not enough" for him to play the back-up parts and has to replace
him with a trumpet player who can do it.

Neat movie about a group of guys who love OKOM, and play in a rehearsal band
for fun and then after many years they finally get their first gig at a
resort in the Catskill mountains. (New York State) Some very funny bits too.

Cheers,
Steve