[Dixielandjazz] racial mixture

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu Jul 24 13:09:15 PDT 2003

I mentioned (ok, call it bragged!) the other day of the fantastic
advantage my 5 kids have had growing up in a bi-lingual situation, and
having a multi-cultural mix of friends.

To follow up on that, the other night, we had sitting around the garden
dinner table the following group of visiting kids:

2 Norwegians
1 half Dutch/half Costa Rican
1 Costa Rican
2 half Irish/half American
1 Colombian of Lebanese origin
The language?  A relaxed mix of Spanish & English

Last week we had Tony over, who is another friend from school
(Hungarian/Finnish...born in Bogata, Colombia....raised in Spain, and
now lives in London!).

Tonight, a kid from Israel is staying with us, Asaf, and then he & one
of my twins are going to Valencia for the weekend to visit another
school chum...who has a half Irish/half Sirian background.

Next Tuesday, another friend, Abdulah is arriving from Pennsylvania,
where is now studying, and he is from Kuwait!  And, this is only a group
of friends from their school days dropping in to visit my twin boys who
are home from college this summer!!

If the whole world were as intermixed, a lot of problems would be
solved!  The conversations skip from football to politics to
girls....mainly sticking on the girl bit!  By the way, they all love
Dixieland....due to the exposure to our band!

Our band is racially mixed, me being the odd-dog......4 Spaniards & an
Armenian/American married to a lovely Irish lass.

Language at home, mostly English with Spanish swear words (called
"tacos"!)....as they are more fun than saying it in English.....as in
"joder, tio"!
Jim