[Dixielandjazz] Tape problem

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 24 05:06:00 PDT 2003

http://audio-restoration.com/baking.php

Hi Gerard and Dick,

The above link supplies the reasons and hopeful cures to tape squealing. I
have the complete article on file should you not be able access the website
(I haved not checked it lately).

Also on file (from 22/12/99) this piece from former DJML'er the late and
much missed Ron Halstead.

> Baking only works for polyester tapes.  Diacetate audio tapes from the
> 50s and early 60s have a totally different problem--Vinegar Syndrome!
> You can determine what the basefilm is by pulling on the first inch or
> two of the tape.  If it breaks clean, it is diacetate.  If it stretches,
it
> is polyester.  If you smell vinegar, you had better copy it soon.  The
> acetic acid causes the tape to deteriorate fast.

Hope you both get your tapes 'de-squealed' and do not attempt what a tape
exchange contact of mine did some years (decades) ago. Receiving a cassette
from him I was curious as to the reason for what looked like an oily sheen
in the little clear window in the cassette. I never played the cassette and
was glad I didn't. The oily sheen, he later admitted, was just that
........ a light machine oil he'd squirted into the cassette. It may well
have relubricated the tape but I shudder to think what it would have done
to the capstan pinch wheel and other parts.

HTH
~=~
 John,
        Suffolk, England.