[Dixielandjazz] RE: Not just cornet players but....

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 04:34:27 PDT 2003

Hi Phil,

You wrote:

>Is this Louie guy any relation to Louis? Listen to Hello Dolly; he say "
>This is LOUIS Dolly".
>I think he would know how to pronounce his own name.

To set the record straight Don didn't refer to "Louie impressions" - I (Bill
Gunter) did.

I know it's "Louis" Armstrong and I almost always refer to the master as
"Louis."  I also know that it was his prefered use of his name. I also
admire and respect the great one and would do nothing to cheapen his memory.

My personal opinion is that most (not all) vocalists who try to impersonate
that gravelly Armstrong voice (complete the the mandatory "OOhhhhh
Yeeeaaaaahh" at the end are artistically cheap and unworthy. THAT's why I
call them "Louie impressions." I really detest that sort of thing. Other
than that I'm really pretty easy going.

Cheers,

Bill
jazzboard at hotmail.com