[Dixielandjazz] Rogan's input

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Jul 22 23:56:40 PDT 2003

Listmates,

I don't know our newest member, Don Rogan, but he obviously has some
strong feelings about things, and a way of expressing himself that will
generate equally strong reactions in many of us. To wit, note the
response of normally-mild-mannered Bill Gunter, and Bert Barr's rather
strong counter-attack.

I don't know Ernie Carson either, but I remember when he was on the list
and wrote in a manner that was just as provoking as Rogan's. Whether
either of them really feels the way they write, or whether they just like
to stir things up, I have no way of knowing. What I do know is that the
reactions to Carson generated some extremely vitriolic emails and verbal
fisticuffs. It wasn't fun being around in those days, and we lost a
number of members.

I would hate to see history repeat itself, and to avoid things getting
ugly again, let's all try to count to 10 (or maybe 100) before
responding.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz