[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bix Biderbecke Copycats

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 00:55:34 PDT 2003

Hi hotjazzsync933 (Donald Rogan),

Welcome to the DJML. I look forward to more of your postings. I especially
enjoyed your take on the cornet:

>I have to say how much I hate all those cornet players out there who try to
>play like Bix . . .

>Here's another thing I'm a little pissed off about:  If you play trumpet,
>you're not accepted.

>Cornet has such a better sound, yea right! Its such bullcrap.

>Maybe someone will comeback and revive trumpet. This cornet bullshit makes
>me sick!

Any comments on the flugelhorn?

Nothing like sweeping generalizations to really spice up a discussion. Also,
a great icebreaker whenever you're trying to introduce yourself to a group
is to start off by insulting an entire group of musician members.

I'm standing by for your take on valve trombones, soprano saxophones,
electric keyboards, vocalists who do "Louis Armstrong impressions," bands
who try to recreate the "San Francisco sound of Watters and Murphy" -- lots
of grist for the "put down" mill.

Cheers,

Bill "What the hell do I know? I play washboard" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com