[Dixielandjazz] DJML Face-To-Face at the Bix Beiderbecke Festival

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Tue Jul 22 13:24:37 PDT 2003

Kurt bowermaster wrote regarding a F2F (Face To Face) I like to call 'em BMP
(Bloody Mary Party):

> There has been some interest from DJML members about having a Face-To-Face
> gathering during this year's Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival in
> Davenport, Iowa July 24-27.  This is my first exposure to a DJML F2F, so I
> have no idea how many people might show up.
>
> HELP!!! Based on past experience, can anyone tell me how the F2F works?

Kurt,

The DJML F2F (get togethers) often take place @ a Jazz Festival.  Because of
various band's playing schedules (some DJML members are musicians) and
scheduling in general, they are usually scheduled before the sets start up
on a Saturday morning.  We like to make arrangements to have them in a spot
where refreshments (Bloody Marys & other drinks), (coffee at the least) is
available from a bar or restaurant.

Sometimes they are in the lobby of a hotel.  Sometimes in a room where a
band is going to play.  Say, the music is scheduled to start up @ 10:00 AM,
schedule the F2f for 9:00 AM.

Sometimes they are in someone's hotel room.  At the Los Angeles Sweet & Hot,
Sherree usually has them just outside of her room @ the LA Marriott.  It is
ground floor by the pool & is very nice.

In Sacramento we have it on Friday AM @ 10:00 AM as many people come in
early for the festival & once the festival starts, venues are so spread out
that it is hard to get DJML members together.

I suggest that in Davenport you have it somewhere in the main hotel, one
hour before the bands start playing.  Try to make arrangements with the
hotel to have drinks or coffee available.  Perhaps right in the lobby of the
hotel would be good.

A sign is always nice.  Wearing DJML buttons or other clothing with DJML is
always nice, throughout the festival to identify you to other DJML members.

On our DJML web site, there is a gift shop where many items with the DJML
logo may be purchased.  One dollar per item purchased is donated to a fund
to award a scholarship to the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society Youth Jazz
Camp.  We are hoping to eventually get enough money so we, as DJML, can
sponsor one student to the Camp.

The items are very nice & may be purchased, fully guaranteed.  The logo is
designed by our own Bill Gunter.

Go to:

http://www.islandnet.com/djml

and click on the gift shop.