[Dixielandjazz] African-Americans in Jazz

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 22 11:04:41 PDT 2003

Charlie said
>     Young blacks don't like, don't relate to, therefore don't play OKOM.
> They regard older blacks who do as Uncle Toms, OKOM as pre-civil rights
> music, Ofay music.  And most of the older blacks who do play it are dying
> off.   That's the simple reason there aren't black OKOM bands.

Therein lies the problem. There are very few non white traditional jazz
players over here despite the fact that we have a large population of black
and Aisian folk living here. Those that get into jazz do not go for the
traditional styles. Pity they could contribute much.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com