[Dixielandjazz] African-Americans in Jazz

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 00:07:39 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/21/2003 8:44:46 PM Central Standard Time,
TCASHWIGG at aol.com writes:

> When I sent out photos of the band to many Hotel entertainment managers, I
> was told flatly "Lose the Niggers and you can work here" or "If you want to
> lose
> this chain of Hotels for booking, just put one Mollunjohnny on our stages
> and
> out you go."

   I wonder about this.  I worked in this business for many years.  Many of
the groups I worked with had black=afro musicians in them and my own bands were
usually half and half.  And this came about just through the natural course
of events.  I didn't deliberately hire or not hire black-afro musicians, I
hired who I liked, who was available and that sort of natural flow of things.

I worked with bands in many hotels and similar situations...I was never ever
told "lose the niggers and you can work here".  I never ran into any
discriminatory situations.  I did run into things that showed clear prejudice against
musicians in general but not because of race.

Jim Beebe