[Dixielandjazz]Recording drums was Oliver and Armstrong -relative "loudness"

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Jul 21 18:22:32 PDT 2003

Hi John,

Englishman, (your countryman - be proud) Rupert Neve is said to be the
inventor of the modern mixer.  His website is at http://www.rupertneve.com/
but his biography link is "under construction"  at this time.  You may be
able to email him from this site regarding 1926 recording technology.  I
suspect he'd be about the most qualified one in the world to reply to your
question.  If you decide to email him, please say hello for me.  I haven't
seen him since (circa) 1993 when he visited my hotel room near the San
Francisco Audio Engineering Society convention to hear my mono to stereo
invention.

He's quite a character.  His symbol was (or is) the motorcycle.  And his
image quite different from a stereotypical country English gentleman.  Kind
of a Hell's Angel on Geritol.

If you get an answer from him let me know.   Dick

I have his address and phone number somewhere and can locate it with about
10 minutes of effort if you need it, John.

Dick