[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP and RIAA

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Jul 21 17:23:04 PDT 2003

Hi Don and listmates,

Thank you, Don,  for your lucid, rational and precise description of the
muddled mess known as US Copyright Law.

>From my experience copyright law simply summerized states: " All copyrighted
songs post 1922 will remain copyrighted until 30 years after Dick Broadie's
death."   That's why my CDs largely contain the works of Stephen Foster and
other such swingers.

I've been an ASCAP composer who has made most of  his money from Wired Music
(Muzak, et al)  services.  Most of my income has come from France.  What the
heck!  They like Jerry Louis, too, don't they.  I pay $10 a year in dues and
get at least $13 a year in royalties.  I'm hesitant in buying a new yacht
from this income source.

As a holder of several patents in the pro audio field and as a composer with
many copywrited songs I proudly proclaim that both ASCAP and  RIAA suck.

While I should be a defender of intellectual property rights, I can hardly
do so.  I waited for half a century for some titles to be clear of copyright
only to see the laws changed by  Mickey Mouse organizations such as Disney
who bribed their way into keeping Mickey from becoming public domain (along
with my favorite songs) for many years beyond my death, unless I make it to
117 years.

I engineered numerous CDs in England which are public domain in that
country.  Performance rights there become public domain after 50 years.  As
part of my deal with Avid Records near London, I imported a few thousand of
my CDs to sell over the internet.  The RIAA discovered my "crime" and
threatened me with a multi-million dollar fine, imprisonment and further
threatened to have the FBI break into my home to seize this illegal
property.

That, coupled with similar legal problems, in effect was the death of my
company, my mono to stereo invention, and 30 years of research and
development in the pro audio field.

Oh well, I no longer have frequent commutes from Palm Springs to LA, have
lots more time to play jazz and enjoy my family.  And when you consider what
I paid out to lawyers and my staff over the years, I likely would have made
more money had I remained a jazz musician on a full time basis and never
owned a stereo headset.

Getting back to ASCAP, I should complain how this organization does not
collect for performance of songs on Cruise Ships.  For 25 years a "put on"
country song I wrote "Recycled Love" has become a standard performance tune
on several cruise lines or so I've been told by several musicians who
frequently work those venues.  I've never collected a nickel for this song
from ASCAP.  I'm not represented in such circumstances. Yet, as a owner,
don't you dare turn on a radio in your restaurant or they're all over you,
trying to collect for their membership in a less than cordial manner.

To close this diatribe, let me just say I'm now going to KaZaA and down load
a bunch of mp3s without paying royalties to ASCAP or the RIAA, make numerous
copies and give them to friends.  It's hardly getting even but it's a start.

Hope this didn't bore you.  I figure that this message will save me about
$5,000 of psychiatric care.  I feel better already!

Dick Broadie