[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 66

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 16:16:34 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/21/2003 3:00:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] RE: symbol of jazz

There probably does not exist a good, single instrument graphic symbol for
"jazz" unless you're talking about specific instruments to begin with; e.g.,
jazz piano, jazz quintet, trio, etc. Obviously you are not. It might be better
therefore to look for a more basic or generic musical symbol such as a
quarternote or clef sign somehow associated with the word, "jazz." Folk music and
country both use the guitar, symphonic music sometimes uses just a baton, etc., but
there just isn;t one instrument (or device) that dominates jazz that much. In
my advertising business we tend to look for significant graphic symbols by
going more abstract. Think of the Movado watch dial or an airplane propeller as
classic, well known, yet simple design shapes. But now you need a graphic
designer. It's a really tough assignment.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink