[Dixielandjazz] Gowans, Carter, and We;ch

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Jul 21 14:45:30 PDT 2003

Dear Bill,
The note on Gowans's drinking in my book came from a list in "Lost
Chords". He died of cancer (type unspecified) in Hollywod on September
8, 1954 according to "Variety", after he collapsed while playing in
January 1954. It would be unusual, but not impossible, for his cancer to
have caused this eight months before his death.
Elisabeth Welch, the black American cabaret, stage, and occasional jazz
singer died , aged 99, in the UK a week after Benny Carter. She went to
school with Carter's sister, and sang his compositioin,"When Lights Are
Low", with his Swing Quartet in  London  on June 29, 1936. Welch joined
Adelaide Hall (Duke's Creole Love Call) and others in preferring the
more liberal European attitude to race in those days. Regards.
Fred