[Dixielandjazz] Re: Seeking 1925 music of Sugar Foot Stomp

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 21 15:11:50 PDT 2003

Dear Dick,
What I have basically confirms what you have.

"Sugarfoot Stomp" (which started out as "Dippermouth Blues" (Oliver-Armstrong)
on a 6 April 1923 King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band record) was recorded by:
 Fletcher Henderson for Columbia on 29 May 1925 with label credit to (Oliver and
Armstrong)
[then exactly one year later]
King Oliver and His Dixie Syncopators for Vocalion on 29 May 1926 with label
credit to -Oliver-.

The definitive book "King" Oliver by Walter C Allen and Brian Rust, revised by
Laurie Wright (Storyville Publications. 1987) provides the following information
taken from the Library of Congress files:

Sugarfoot Stomp, by Joe Oliver & Louis Armstrong, Arranged by Donald Redman &
Elmer Schoebel; E620867, published by Melrose Brothers music company, inc.,
Chicago, 15 August 1925.
Renewed: 15 August 1952 by Louis Armstrong (A): R98753.
Renewed: 17 September 1952 by Stella Oliver (W) & Louis Armstrong (A): R99792.

Sugarfoot Stomp, words by Walter Melrose, music by Joe Oliver; E640420, 26 April
1926; Melrose Brothers music company, inc., Chicago.
Renewed: 27 April 1953 by Walter Melrose (A): R111392.

(A) = Author.  (W) = Widow.

As a matter of interest, "Dippermouth Blues" (music by Joe Oliver) was
copyrighted on 21 May 1923.

The 1925 copyright relates to published music. The others do not.
Which is obviously what you are looking for. H
Have you tried the ever-helpful Audrey Van Dyke?

In the absence of the original sheet music, I would use the 1925 information -
if it were my call.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: There is a vocal version by the Pied Pipers (8 men and 1 girl) made for
Victor on 6 June 1939.
I have not heard this and do not know of any other vocal versions.
I wonder if anyone has the Walter Melrose words?