[Dixielandjazz] The loudest trumpet

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:36:49 PDT 2003

The Loudest Trumpet . . .

Steve B. writes:

>Don't think Armstrong was loud? Suggest you listen carefully to the 1923
>rendition of "Chimes Blues" recorded at Gennett. When Louis solos, he is
>louder than the whole band was. Hey, maybe he moved closer to the
>recording horn? Also note on those Gennett's that the 2nd cornet part is
>generally much softer than his solos. Had they been as loud as his solo
>on Chimes, the balance would have been totally shot.
>Another thing to consider is that with that recording equipment,
>everybody was probably playing as loud as they could to register.

is it possible that the writer of such phrases "The loudest trumpet" is
speaking metaphorically?  The "loudest" may actually mean the event with the
most impact on its miieu. Kinda like the phrase "The shot heard round the
world."

In that sense, to me there is no question that Louis blew the loudest horn!

Cheers,

Bill "The Loudest Washboard" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com