[Dixielandjazz] Brad Gowans redux

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 23:54:24 PDT 2003

For those interested in a pretty good write up on Brad Gowans, check out
Dick Sudhalter's book Lost chords. His section on Gowans starts:

Born in 1903 . . . "he admired Larry Shields so he became an adept
clarinetist; he translated his esteem for Nick LaRocca into a punchy
cornet style; he did homage to Eddie Edwards by adapting what he'd
learned to the trombone."

He recorded, at one time or another, on all three instruments and
invented the valide. Heck of a player, not generally given his due. Some
great work with Condon, and with Bud Freeman's Summa Cum Laude
Orchestra.

Died young in 1954.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. Sudhalter quotes Rosy McHargue as saying. "It was a thrill for me to
play with Brad. He knew how to keep the trombone part from intruding on
the clarinet part. Today when I'm playing with some band, playing the
part that I think is the clarinet part, there's the trombone playing it,
leaving the clarinet with nothing to do but go high."