[Dixielandjazz] It ain't jazz if . . .

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 03:21:10 PDT 2003

Listees,

I read on the DJML lately:

---> clip

Part of the sadness of jazz fandom and criticism is that some folks have
dug into a particular kind of music and branded others as bad. I've been
following the comments about the figs,  Preservation Hall Jazz Bands,
Leonard Feather, etc.

---> end clip

Yesterday I was over in Santa Cruz with the Cell Block 7 at the Zimbrick
"Sweet and Hot" festival. Had a good time and everyone seemed to be having
fun (punters and musicians).

Between sets, while nursing a scotch on the rocks at the bar, some fellow
sat down next to me and proceeded to tell me that the Cell Block 7 guys
weren't really a "jazz band" because we used a lot of the old Watters and
Murphy charts and had music stands in front of us.

I said "Interesting point" and then turned away to nuirse my scotch and
thought, "Sheesh, what an idiot."

1. We call ourselves a jazz band and so he insulted us by saying we weren't.
2. I always look sideways at "jazz authorities."
3. He had some pre-conceived notion of just what constitutes "jazz."
4. Noboby "knows" exactly what jazz is.

One of the truisms in my life is that as soon as someone tells you what jazz
is, that's what it isn'!

Anyone who tells you different can just go and pound sand!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I know what Jazz is" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com