[Dixielandjazz] Seeking 1925 music of Sugar Foot Stomp

Dick Baker dickbkr at goon.org
Sun Jul 20 22:14:27 PDT 2003

Does anyone have what I presume exists:  A 1925 edition of "Sugar Foot Stomp"?

According to the Library of Congress's copyright records, it was first
published in 1925 with the credits "by Joe Oliver & Louis Armstrong; arr.
Donald Redman & Elmer Schoebel."

A second card at LC says it was published [again] in 1926, this time with
credits of "Oliver, Joe, music; Melrose, Walter, words," but that copyright
card is dated 1942.  The copy of the music held in the LC music collection
is the 1926 one, with, indeed, a stamp on the top indicating it was
received in 1942.

We're trying to get the credits right on this for a new Stomp Off CD, and
if the 1925 sheet music exists and its credits agree with the 1925
copyright card, that's what we'll go with.

--
   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
               dickbkr at goon.org