[Dixielandjazz] RE: hearing aids

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sun Jul 20 21:01:36 PDT 2003

<<<<Don Ingle . . .
. . . who is being fitted with hearing aids on Monday, thanks to the
three years sitting directly in front of Barrett's bass drum at Jazz
Ltd. Jean -- She Who Must Be Obeyed -- said "get a *@#+!*@# hearing aid,
Don!" I got two just to be sure!!>>>>

Yes, Don, nice move, you'll be accustomed and satisfied after a short
time trial. I know because I was prescribed of two hearing aids, since
last year. Actually, I use only left ear amp, (Completely In the Canal,
you can't see it unless looking inside my ear) with two different
programs; one for music (complete frequencies spectrum, no attenuation,
no noise compression) and a second program filtered and focused for
voice, with high compression for ambient noise. The gizmo has remote
control for program and volume.  Very clever and very expensive.  Price
was over my ceiling; I had to try - and actually got - a substantial
price reduction in exchange of writing a User Report to the
manufacturer, including a Technical Analysis of the device and a
Performance Evaluation, considered from an Engineer's and a Musician's
point of view.   Jazzman must be creative!  ;-)

It was a bit traumatic to me accepting the verdict of getting a
permanent hearing loss; but soon I started to take it as I take my
seeing loss and my glasses.   And after all I am not alone, I have
company of greats as Don Ingle and Beethoven!
I am curious to know how many musicians in our List are using these
amps.  It seems to be a generalized prescription to us, stage people.

I can't feel myself at easy using amps in both ears ; I use only right
side because my left ear is a bit better and gets well the low
frequencies; being so, it adds to the high spectrum coming from the
powered right ear, and I feel more natural and free.   When playing at
stage, I just remove the ear amp and try to stay away of drums and stage
monitors.
That's life, the show must go on.   ;-)

Tito Martino
clarinet, soprano sax,