[Dixielandjazz] : Dick Cary

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sun Jul 20 15:48:21 PDT 2003

Dick;

If you're talking about the house in Sunland, I've been there several times
to listen to the Tuesday night rehearsal band. All of the charts were
written by Dick. Most of the tunes were Cary originals and a few were well
known tunes which Dick had the knack of creating "new wine in old bottles".
The band would run through each chart just once and go on to the next with
just a few comments. As you mentioned, there were no errors in the charts.
Mistakes were made by individual musicians who noted what they had done as
if to say "I've learned something new."

Dick would play piano but had his horns nearby for an occasional horn part
(trumpet or alto horn) in the music.

The musicians were in a circle with most in chairs. Listeners fit in
wherever possible. After an hour or so, the band would break for a few
minutes, get something to drink and/or eat, then return for another hour.

When Dick died, Jim Turner inherited ownership of the property and of Dick's
arrangements.

The band continued under the leadership of Dick Hamilton a brass player who
also played piano. Essentially, Dick took Cary's place in the band. The
major difference was that the mission of the band was to replay all of Dick
Cary's arrangements in order. However, this time, the band would go though
each arrangement more than once. I never heard them play any arrangement
more than 3 times.

The band went "on the road" briefly. I heard them in a club in Sherman Oaks
and they were also featured at the 1993 Los Angeles Classic Jazz Festival
which was the last public appearance of Dick Cary with the band. To the best
of my knowledge, the band has recorded only 2 CD's - one on Arbors which was
actually recorded at Dick's home with Cary leading the band in 1993 - and
another on the Klavier label which was recorded in a studio in 1997 and Dick
Hamilton was the leader.

For more stories about Dick Cary, Bob Ringwald would be a good source - Dick
graced Bob's Great Pacific Jazz Band for several years.

Stan