[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 16:52:54 PDT 2003

In "The Record Changer", July-August 1950, Louis Armstrong is quoted as
follows:

"When we made those Gennett records, Joe wasn't in his prime, like he
was before he sent for me. To show you how much louder I was than Joe;
those were acoustical records, with those big horns; Joe would be right
in the horn blowing and I would be standing back in the door playing
second trumpet.."

Those records were made in 1923. Joe Oliver was born in 1885.

That would make him only 38 years old, yet it would seem from Louis'
point of view, Oliver was already past his prime.

If so, what we have on those Gennett records is an over the hill King
Oliver.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Just how good was King Oliver if
what we hear on those records was a man "past his prime"?

Inquiringly,
Steve Barbone