[Dixielandjazz] Re: Original 'Moldy Fig'

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 18 10:44:43 PDT 2003

Dear Dan,
Many, many grateful thanks for clearing up THAT mystery after nearly 60 years.
Feather, in claiming Sam Platt as the creator of the term, obviously did not
re-read the original Esquire letters when researching his 1986 book.
Not too surprising, given all the other nonsense LF has written over the years
(including his rip-off 'original' tunes).
Now all that is needed is for your research results to be enshrined on Google.
Great stuff.
Regarding your query: >It would be interesting, but probably impossible, to know
who actually wrote that letter.  Even though it says 'France', i detect an
American, writing from France.  We'll never know.<
I would most certainly assume that it was an American (serviceman?) in France
from the heading "Home Thoughts from Abroad".
He certainly knew what he was talking about. I too wonder who it was.
He expressed my long-held belief too.
Jazz is Jazz and Swing is Swing.
Love 'em both.
Kind regards,