[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Jul 17 18:19:50 PDT 2003

The Sons of Bix played the Sacro Fest several times, and one morning we had
the early bloody Mary hour set. Leonard Feather came waltzing in, and Don
Gibson, our sort-of-leader said, "hey guys, it's Leonard Feather -- let's
play ____(big lip buster not suited for a time when most of the band had not
yet puked)," and I said screw him...he doesn't like our brand of music and
is not about to write anything complimentary about us, so let's just play
our gig our way for the faithful on hand. We were about 16 bars into
Davenport Blues when Leonard spun around and left.
Two other bands we knew said he did the same thing -- a quick look-see then
split.
His charge of racism was bogus -- had there been available jazz bands of
color, they would have been hired, but there are just not many around. The
folks that help make OKOM just let it drop, and the younger ones rarely took
it up.
Feather was really a racist in reverse, disdaining the fine music also made
and being made by white players as well.
I might as well pile on -- not let Beebe have it all. He was also a mediocre
piano player at best, but got more plaudits for his playing than he deserved
just because he had access to INK.
Don Ingle