[Dixielandjazz] Louis, Hello Dolly

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 22:05:06 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/16/2003 3:56:48 PM Central Standard Time,
richard.broadie at gte.net writes:

> >The way I heard the story, Louis and the band found out about it being a
> hit
> >after returning to the States, and ended up going to a cafe and putting
> >money in the Nickelodeon over and over to "learn" it from their own
> >recording.

Arvell Shaw, Louis's long time bassist, told this version himself, as he was
there.  Louis and the band were playing a series of one nighters out in the
boon docks...he believed that it was Iowa.  They kept getting requests for
"Hello Dolly" and no one could make sense of it.  One of the guys vaguely
remembered recording the tune in a recording session the previous year.  Louis had his
manager get a copy from the record co.

Jim B