[Dixielandjazz] What's New

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Wed Jul 16 14:48:49 PDT 2003

Clifford Brown was very restricted on "What's New" which was recorded with
strings in 1955, if my memory serves me correctly.  Neal Hefti told me it
was the first time he had ever arranged for strings and that he wished he
had another chance to do it again 40 years later.  I'd hardly use this
performance as a standard by which Brownie should be judged.
\
Incidentally, the last time I saw Neal he was sitting in on trumpet at a
Tolucca Lake Ca senior center and having a ball.

I must sound like a real phony when I drop names.  For 12 years I was
considered the best in the world at converting mono sound to stereo by many
with good ears.  During this time, when others were interested in what I
could do for them, you'd be amazed the doors that were opened for me.
Someday, I must write a book or maybe two.  On the other hand, I don't think
many would believe it.  Maybe I should write it fast while there's still
some living witnesses here.   Enough rambling.  Sorry.  Dick B