[Dixielandjazz] The Real Mersey Sound

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 16 21:39:49 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Slater

> That reminds me. Do any of you UK mouldy figs remember the Merseyssippi
> Jazz Band - or the Manchester Saints?

Sorta Ken, .... tho' at the time I was not that much into British 'trad' -
still not really, but there are exceptions.

The story of The Saints have been covered in fairly recent times I believe
by that excellent "Just Jazz" magazine who may have covered the Merseysippi
too, but I'm so far behind in my reading that I can't be sure. Paul Adams'
"Lake" label has issued CDs by both bands. Whether they are still available
I do not know but our mate Jerry Brown could undoubtably put you wise.

Two other UK bands of that era worth a listen via CD (also Lake) are Bobby
Mickleburgh and his Bobcats and Dave Carey's Band. I don't know if *I*
would ever class them as 'trad' - to me they were just damn good jazz
bands. Pat Hawes' piano on some of the Carey sides are alone worth the cost
of the double CD.

-=-
 John,
        Suffolk, England.