[Dixielandjazz] Music That Matters

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 13:02:07 PDT 2003

John Petters said:

>Steve (Hoog) said
>Keep in mind, though, that the Beatles didn't really hit in the US
until
>very late 1963 at the earliest, it wasn't until Feb 1964 that they did
the
>Sullivan show and really took >off here.

"Yes the month that music that matters died."

Oh my, what a sad thought. Here I am almost 40 years later playing the
hell out of music, (OKOM) some of it written by Beatles after Feb 1964,
and much being written by other folks after that date. I never realized
that I'm playing music that doesn't matter at 160 gigs a year, in front
of over 100,000 people who, I guess, don't matter either.

What a great slogan. "Our band plays music that doesn't matter., for
people who don't matter. " I think I'll market it along with the
inscription of the Statue of Liberty in NY Harbor that says "Send me
your poor, etc,., etc."  With a little effort, we could probably end up
playing for a billion people who don't matter,  all over the world.

Then again, maybe I live in a parallel universe where the music does
matter. In any event, I'm having the time of my life, wish you all were
here, where ever "here" is.

"Hello, Hello, Can you hear me now?" ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

Silly me.

Cheers,