[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pops Vs. Mops

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 12:00:05 PDT 2003

> <Steve.Hoog at rockhurst.edu> wrote
>

> A slight correction to the statement (Made by Barbone)
>
> "'Hello Dolly'  1963 - Number 1 on the charts, beat out the Beatles."
>
> Keep in mind, though, that the Beatles didn't really hit in the US until =
> very late 1963 at the earliest, it wasn't until Feb 1964 that they did =
> the Sullivan show and really took off here.

Yes, below is the correction for any who are not familiar with the emergence of "Hello
Dolly" on the charts.

Sorry, I did not make it clear that Armstrong All Stars recorded "Hello Dolly" in 1963.
However, the Broadway Play "Hello Dolly" did not open until January 1964. Louis' version
did not become popular until after the show opened.

It first appeared on the charts in Feb 1964 and became Number One on the charts in May,
1964, the week of May 9, I believe. By that time, the Beatles and other British rock
groups had a lock on number One or so it seemed. According to legend, the All Stars were
on the road at the time and when asked by audiences to play the tune, couldn't remember
it and had to get the music flown in from NYC.

BTW, Louis in singing the tune says" "This is Louis (Lewis) Dolly, which is the way he
ALWAYS pronounced his first name. Not everybody has gotten that message, and many still
erroneously call him Looie.

Cheers,
Steve