[Dixielandjazz] Max Collie, Indianapolos

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 16 01:28:27 PDT 2003

Gngle?? Must be me Charlie was trying to reach. He types as bad as me.
As to the infamous duking it out  between Bacin and Johnson, not sure what
started it. But they got into a rhubarb outside the venue where the "World
Jazz Championship" was being held, and before it was over both were a bit
bloodied. It was the talk of the Midwest jazz circles at the time. That is
until the time to pay the bands came around. Then the talk was about ropes,
tar, feathers, and a ride out of town on a rail--- too late, the recipients
had already left town for Jolly Old England, leaving a number of musicians
stiffed.
Not the first time musicians got the short end. But never quite to publicly.
Don Ingle