[Dixielandjazz] Higher & faster is better??

gebooks gebooks at qwestonline.com
Tue Jul 15 09:49:30 PDT 2003

Since my personal judgement of good players is based on their ensemble abilities in OKOM, higher and faster trumpet playing just leads to clutter. I like the clary on top like such greats as Al Nicholas and Ed Hall to name just 2.
When the trumpet goes up where does the clary go? Down to run into the 'bone's notes.
Another thought---don't forget that these new "p-shooter" trumpets facilitate higher note playing with a general loss of tone.
Simplicity in itself is a statement. A lot of notes may impress audiences but do not create works of art like Bix, Louis and others created.
I still like Picasso better than Jackson Pollack.
Nuf sed.
Gene Mayl