[Dixielandjazz] British Trad - Max Collie

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 19:54:17 PDT 2003

Bob said
> My first real exposure to British Trad was sometime between 1970 & '73.  I
> was playing intermissions @ Turk Murphy's Earthquake Magoons in SF.
>
> Sam Johnson brought the Max Collie band over to the states.  Turk was on
the
> road. Magoons was the band's first gig in the States.  They blew me away.
>
> What excitement!  What drive!
>
> Sure, the music was a little crude but for what it was, it was great!

Interesting you should say this Bob, because when I fist started listening
to live jazz it was Max's band that capured my imagination. The drummer was
the same Ron McKay I  singled out earlier. They played with high energy and
excitement and got the young crowd in Chelsea.
> I think Jack Gilbert, Ron McKay & a bass player named Trevor was in the
> band.  Also, maybe a player with the last name of Macentosh (SP)?
Jack Gilbert sadly passed last yead. The bass player was Trefor Fingers
Willians and the banjo - Jim McIntosh. Trevor and Jim play with Phil Mason's
band which until recently also had McKay. This had all the drive of the old
Collie band. I have played with both bands several times.
Phil does great business wherever he plays.

> At the time I first heard his band in the early 70s, I felt that if the
> American bands played with that much drive & excitement, we'd sure attract
> the younger crowd

absolutely right.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ