[Dixielandjazz] British Trad

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Mon Jul 14 11:55:29 PDT 2003

I guess I am rather unique as I like most early Jazz as long as it is done
well.

I like the Hot 5 & 7, World's Greatest Jazz Band, Turk Murphy, Lou Watters &
the old Dave Brubeck quartet.

I love Art Tatum, Morton, Rob McConell's Boss Brass, Dave Grusum's big band
& Jack Sheldon's big band.

My first real exposure to British Trad was sometime between 1970 & '73.  I
was playing intermissions @ Turk Murphy's Earthquake Magoons in SF.

Sam Johnson brought the Max Collie band over to the states.  Turk was on the
road. Magoons was the band's first gig in the States.  They blew me away.

What excitement!  What drive!

Sure, the music was a little crude but for what it was, it was great!

I think Jack Gilbert, Ron McKay & a bass player named Trevor was in the
band.  Also, maybe a player with the last name of Macentosh (SP)?

Later, in the late 80s, I was in the UK & went to see Max.  The band's
personel had changed a lot.  He had really lost the excitement & drive.  The
band just didn't make it for me like it had when I first heard them.

At the time I first heard his band in the early 70s, I felt that if the
American bands played with that much drive & excitement, we'd sure attract
the younger crowd.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band