[Dixielandjazz] Re: Musical Versatility

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 18:41:28 PDT 2003

Steve said
> Dixieland is polyphonic counterpoint. Virtually any tune can be adapted to
that musical form. To attempt to defines it
> further leads to all sorts of disagreements as to what is "Dixieland".

Thats is ok as far as it goes, but what about the rhythmic feel? Dixieland
is 2 beat or 4 beat, it is not waltz time, nor is it latin or rock, although
there is the Spanish tinge which Morton was fond of. The most important
ingrediant is to SWING which you can do in Jazz time.

>  The problem of appeal to younger audiences with
> "Dixieland" is that no new tunes are played by most Dixieland Bands and
the older stuff just isn't relevant on it's
> own.
Doesn't that suggest that there are no new tunes worth playing? How many of
todays' pop songs have any melody in the first place. Prior to the collapse
of civilization as we know it, ie, the dreadful Rock rot that set in in the
60s, good songs were being composed. Relatively few have since then. For
example, Lennon & mcCartney's 'Michelle' works well as a jazz vehicle.  Why
should Muskrat Ramble be any less relevant than St Thomas?  & Clifford Brown
died nearly 50 years ago so what relevance can he have to young audiences?

> I don't understand your point about "polluting the music". Jazz is, and
always has been an evolving or changing art
> form. Dixieland was the first change from New Orleans Jazz. That's why we
get into rigid opinion differences about
> Preservation Halls version of jazz v. ODJB, and/or King Oliver.

Listen to some of the bands playing in New Orleans today. There are some
players who play the music without any comviction, often playing be bop type
phrases and harmonies, which in themselves are not what I would call hot. So
jazz for me has to be hot. I hear the heat in the ODJB, Oliver, Condon etc.

> I can understand that some Brits may not like certain US styles of
Dixieland, that's fine. After all, I can't stand
> British Trad. If there is ever to be any such thing as musical polution,
it would get my vote. But that is one man's
> opinion and in the grand scheme of things, not worth a damn thing.

Well there I do agree with you Steve!

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com