[Dixielandjazz] Re: Louis Armstrong was (Musical Versatility)

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 18:25:00 PDT 2003

Steve said
> It should be no surprise to us that every trumpeter in Jazz today plays
better than Louis. Faster, cleaner, higher,
> more ideas.

Boy are you on dodgy territory now Steve! Can you please supply a list of
trumpeters who with more ideas? Since when has faster or higher been a
determining factor?
Louis stands head and shoulders above the lot. In terms of taste, phrasing,
timing, you name it. I hear nobody around anywhere that comes remotely near
it.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com