[Dixielandjazz] Starting as Waltz--Ending as Fox Trot

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Jul 14 13:37:37 PDT 2003

Bob wrote, in favor of 3/4 starters:
An example, in point, is "Rose of Washington Square."
What have other DJMLers got to say about this?

And, I add.......the most common example, probably, is Over the Waves.
I think it sounds really "romping" when you come out of the 3/4 time.
Why is this little "trick...or change" been called tasteless?  It's just
another thing we all do to add a bit of spice, and try to catch people's
attention.  I purposely fit in songs with breaks, or odd times in the
verse, etc, in a long concert to break up the 32 bar norm thing and add
variety.

Actually, we don't do any 3/4, unless the pianist gets in a "modern
mood" & plays something like Gravy Waltz, but I'm not against it at all.

Jim