[Dixielandjazz] Starting as Waltz--Ending as Fox Trot

BOBOBANJOB at aol.com BOBOBANJOB at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 07:38:23 PDT 2003

Dear Listmates:

Dennis Mowatt wrote (7/14/03): "If there is one thing I hate it is the
playing of the first chorus in 3/4, then "swinging it".
To me that is the dregs of tastelessness. To play, for example, "I'm Forever
Blowing Bubbles", take a leaf from the book of the
ODJB and play it properly, in 3/4, all the way through!"
I dunno! Some tunes sound good (to me) with the verse as a waltz, then the
chorus
as a swingin' Fox trot.

An example, in point, is "Rose of Washington Square." Banu Gibson has
recorded it that way,
and the transition of moods comes off very well, and complements the lyrics.
What have other DJMLers
got to say about this?

Bob Sann,
Englewood Cliffs, NJ