[Dixielandjazz] Mercy Mercy Mercy OKOM?

Dennis Mowatt basousanjo at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 11:51:40 PDT 2003

John,

Having seen some of the bands at Sacramento recently, I was reminded of
Irish Showbands, who were very adept - they were required to be - at playing
*ANYTHING* the punters wanted. This included the pops of the day (including
the "Shadows' steps"; you remember?), Irish Ceile dance music, quicksteps,
foxtrots, waltzes, oh, yes, and Dixieland Jazz, to name but a few. Just as I
would query the jazz content of the Irish Showbands - which did contain some
very fine jazz musicians - I query the jazz content of some of what I saw at
Sacramento. No, I refuse to "name names"!!

If there is one thing I hate it is the playing of the first chorus in 3/4,
then "swinging it". To me that is the dregs of tastelessness. To play, for
example, "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", take a leaf from the book of the
ODJB and play it properly, in 3/4, all the way through!

What is a "Soice Girl"? I think you need, as I do, to use Spell Check!!

With kind regards to all

Dennis Mowatt