[Dixielandjazz] Mercy Mercy Mercy OKOM?

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 10:39:32 PDT 2003

Steve said
 >And for the College parties, we can also do "Mercy Mercy Mercy", "St.
Thomas", "Gerkin For
> Perkin", or "Jordu"  on the spot

Steve I would query that the above is OKOM. It certainly is not Dixieland. I
have always drawn the line at polluting a jazz gig with the obnoxious rock
beat. So my gigs are ALWAYS in jazz time (occasasionally 3/4 for a chorus
before swinging). The trick is to adapt the material to the style of the
band, not the band to the style of the song. I have a recording of the Ory
Band at the Green Room playing a dance where they play Perdido. They do not
sound like Duke - they sound like the Ory band. Their is a danger in trying
to be all things to all men - the integrity of the music can become
compromised. End result The Soice Girls
cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ