[Dixielandjazz] Bob Havens; Preservation Hall, etc.

George Thurmond gmthur at delrio.com
Sun Jul 13 21:54:34 PDT 2003

        Kudos to whoever it was that copied us his message from Bob Havens.
Besides being the greatest T-bone player going over the last few decades,
and such a fine fellow, although we don't hear from him very often, when we
do he always has something interesting and a funny story to tell.  Bob, ever
consider penning a book?  Well, get busy on it

        I used to stop by Preservation Hall when my travels took me through
N.O., and sit there on the floor a couple of feet from the great ones -
Lewis and Robinson, the Humphrey brothers, Drag, Sweet Emma (the Bell Gal),
Burbank, and so many others.  Now they're all gone and it's just not the
same for me.  Now after I turn the corner from Bourbon on to St. Peter, I
keep walking and duck in next door to Pat  O'Brien's.  PH is a must stop for
many pilgrims and they keep coming back, so here's hoping the present
management and musicians can
 keep operating forever, but it just ain't what it used to be for me.

George Thurmond