[Dixielandjazz] Pres. Hall's Stories

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Jul 13 17:20:03 PDT 2003

I can't express what I like about N.O. bands and Preservation Hall bands
adequately.  It is too tightly wrapped up in emotion and other feelings
that are too hard for me to verbalize accurately.  I am sure there were
musicians who perhaps should not have played, due to lesser skill or
age/infirmities and should not have been the objects of adulation.  And
there were musicians who didn't want to be involved with the PH bands.
Was there not a long standing rivalry between "Up town and "Back o Town"
musicians, between the schooled Creoles and the self taught and/or part
time musicians?

There is something in the energy, in the way they communicate, in the
color of the tone, in the timing, in the rhythmic pulse of the bass
drum. It is the conversation, the interplay  ... I don't know.

Are folk artists (painters) bad because they don't paint in perspective,
or because they use odd color combinations?  If their subject matter is
as ordinary as people sitting at a table in a dining room, does this
diminish the impact of the work?

Ron L