[Dixielandjazz] same band/same music

Bill Horton horton4jaz at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 12 14:15:46 PDT 2003

Comment from a non-musician re different members in a band:

I've been an ardent fan of the Chicago Six band for many years, during which
there have been so many changes in personnel that only two original members
still remain:  Leader/stbass Bob Finch and drummer Jon Hall.

Every time they lose one of their players, my heart misses a beat as I
think, "Oh boy, here goes the band I love!"  Each time I am pleasantly
surprised.  They lose super clarinetist Bobby Gordon and Finch replaces him
with the wonderful Bob McEwen, for example.  Their book remains unchanged
and there are very subtle changes, but the basic sound remains the same to
my untutored (and hearing-aided) ear.  It has happened so many times over
the years that now my heart doesn't go pitty-pat when another replacement
appears.  I know they are going to remain one of my favorite bands.

Great credit goes to the Big Bird for finding such great musos and
maintaining the quality of the band.  Replacing a star in a big 20-30 piece
orchestra is not much of an accomplishment, but replacing one in a 6-piece
outfit, where every player is integrally important, is a real feat.  It
probably helps that Chicago Six is in the San Diego/El Lay area, with a
multitude of excellent musicians, but it still is a great tribute to Finch's
ear and organizational ability.

(Note to Bob, if he ever sees this):  NOW do I get that gofer chair on your
next European tour?)

Bill Horton
www.Pismojazz.com