[Dixielandjazz] Two questions

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:23:49 PDT 2003

Listmates,

Ken Gates asks:

>Questions to performing musicians---
>1--To those who were self-taught---
>      What deficiency was most difficult to overcome to get to
>       your skill level?

>2--To those who received instruction by professional teaching
>      methods---
>      What did you have to "unlearn" to get to your skill level?

Probably some of this depends on the ax you play. I play washboard in two
bands (Cell Block 7 and the Boondockers). I am self taught on the washboard
BUT . . .

I took violin lessons starting in the 2nd grade. In high school I picked up
the string bass and played not only the school orchestra, but all in the
Oakland Junior Symphony. I took piano lesson along about the 6th or 7th
grade. I also used the knowledge from the piano lessons (where I learned
about chords) to learn guitar and banjo. However, when I started playing
semi-professionally I played 5-string banjo and guitar and sang folks songs
(back in the 60s) Later, when I went to work in a pizza pub I started
playing drums because they already had a piano and a banjo player.

After awhile I started playing washboard as a novelty relief from the drums
and, for some reason, the washboard and I developed a zen relationship and
we became one.

What I'm saying is that I don't recall any particular "deficiency" that I
had to overcome other than an aversion to practice but, what the hell,
that's probably true of most of us. Also, I didn't have to "unlearn"
anything. Quite the opposite . . . the training I had in the more
conventional musical instruments gave me something to "carry over" into the
other instruments and even into playing the washboard.

Whether or not I'm a "good" musician is not at issue. I'm probably a
mediocre musician in many ways. But I'm a pretty good entertainer and know
how to enjoy whatever it is I can do.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "How Do I tune the goddam washboard?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com