[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Festivals; Texas festivals

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 11 11:14:30 PDT 2003

>From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard at hotmail.com>
>To: rvthompson at earthlink.net, dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>Bcc:
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Festivals
>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:54:03 +0000
>
>If the Natural Gas and Professor Plum play the prune festival then what are appropriate venues for the Cell Block 7 or the Boondockers?
>
>Respectfully submitted,
>
>Bill Gunter
>Cell Block 7
>The Boondockers
>jazzboard at hotmail.com
**-------------------------------------------------------------------------**
Bill and others--
    Might i respectfully suggest that the Cell Block 7 play the Gonif Prison Rodeo (Bumduck, Oregon) and that the Boondockers play one of the following in Texas (especially the Tons of Suds or Windfest, for obvious reasons):

Texas Festivals
http://www.tourtexas.com/listbytypea03-festivals.html

February 15-16, 2003 - FESTIVAL - Old Town Spring: Frontier Days. Event includes CASI Chili cook-off competition. Free entertainment including Hoovers Rangers re-enactments of the Old West Cowboy days, a Native American campsite, Civil War soldiers in full uniform, Mountain men and more.

March 15, 2003 - FESTIVAL - Laneville: Tons of Suds for Scleroderma. Join us as we try to break the world record by making an 8-TON bar of handmade soap for Scleroderma. 60,000 bars of soap will be donated to various charities.

March 20-23, 2003 - FESTIVAL - Denton: 18th Annual Texas Storytelling Festival. Considered one of the premier storytelling events in the nation and certainly the largest in the Southwest. Top professional storytellers throughout the U.S. will spin tales for all audiences: folktales, stories of cultural heritage (especially the South and West), sports stories, war stories, children's tales - some will warm your heart and others will make you laugh until it hurts.

April 10-13, 2003 - FESTIVAL - Portland: Windfest. Family fun weekend with a huge carnival, parade, arts & crafts, games, exhibits, food booths, children's area, 3-on-3 basketball tournament for kids, 3-on-3 basketball tournament for adults, horseshoe tournament, chili, bean and rib cook-off, senior's area, weekend long entertainment, 5K, 10K and 2mile walk, petting zoo and much more.

July 24-26, 2003 - FESTIVAL - Clute: 23rd Annual Great Texas Mosquito Festival. Join Willy Manchew, the 25 foot mosquito for some one-of-a-kind Texas fun. The three day festival includes a mosquito calling contest, Mr. & Mrs. Mosquito Legs Contest, Ms. Quito Beauty Pageant, Baby Crawling Diaper Derby and the Senior Citizen Mosquito Swatter Decorating Contest.

    Dan

(Actually, i say this only partly in jest.  Festivals like these abound around the country and world and would be good venues to show off one's dixieland band.)