[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Appearances - Was Riverboat Schedule

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 11:53:31 PDT 2003

Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote:

>    In a message dated 11/7/03 12:47:58 am, barbonestreet at earthlink.net
> writes:
>
> > Yes, Barbone Street does it frequently. Last Mardi Gras we had 4
> different
> > six piece Dixieland bands working under the name "Barbone Street".
> Usually at
> > least 3 at every Mardi Gras for the past 6 years.
>
> I must admit I find this completely bizarre and I certainly would
> never book
> any band which had 'multi versions'. To me the sound of a jazz band of
>
> whatever style is a product of the various musicians in that band and
> their
> individual talents dictate the real trade mark. Yes, any group of
> competant musicians
> can play the charts of, for example, Glenn Miller, and sound more or
> less like
> that orchestraq but that ain't jazz!

Miller was not jazz (IMO) in the first place. And Barbone Street never
uses charts. However, why bizarre? Would you not book Preservation Hall
JB because they have multi versions? They are the biggest fan draw in
Dixieland that I am aware of. They consistently book simultaneous gigs,
appearing both in New Orleans, and at the same time all over the World.
And when one of their traveling units appeared with us a few weeks ago
in Delaware, Ben Jaffe (leader/owner) approached our trumpeter, Paul
Grant, and asked if he was available to cover some road gigs that John
Brunious couldn't make. Think anybody would notice?

In the past 18 months, we have played twice with Preservation Hall here
in our local area when they were also appearing in New Orleans. Both
local gigs drew more fans than 90% of the OKOM 3 day Festivals in the
USA. Now if nobody came to see them because it was not the real band,
then I guess we were the main draw. ;-)  (NOT)

> If I book the 'Dukes of Dixieland' or 'Barbone Street' I want to hear
> the
> distinct sound of those organisations and the jazz skills of the
> proper members
> not a collection of deps copying the sound and repertoire. When I go
> to see
> Barbone Street I want to see Steve Barbone and not someone trying to
> sound like
> him - if that is possible! If the persons running these organisations
> think
> they can do this then in my mind they are shortchanging the public.

Well that is flattering and I am not disagreeing. Our simultaneous bands
do not copy one another. They play their own styles. How could you, for
instance, short change the punters if you booked Barbone Street to play
next week? They've never heard us, never seen me, etc. If I sent Kenny
Davern, Jon Erik Kellso, Dan Barrett, Joe Ascione, Frank Vignola and
Greg Cohen as Barbone Street, I should think you and the punters would
be thrilled to no end. Well, maybe not you, but the audience would be
delighted to hear some of the finest OKOM jazz players in the world
masquerading as Barbone Street. And that's what counts isn't it?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Barbone Street operates somewhat like Preservation Hall. We
advertise the band, not the individuals. So it is a surprise to the
audience when we introduce the band members at the gig with their
impressive bios. We use our band logo, rather than a picture of the band
in our promo kits. We market "Barbone Street", not Steve Barbone or
Glenn Dodson, etc. The band, not the individuals. Yet, our band has had
the same personnel on most gigs for 5 years now. Our CDs feature the
exact same personnel. In contrast to many of the "pick-up" bands that
appear at the usual OKOM festivals in the USA, we are a working unit(s).